Foot and Ankle Rehabilitation
Feet are important.
From the 26 bones that keep us grounded to the 107 ligaments that allow us to stay on our toes to the 19 muscles that put our best foot forward, these complicated structures can make or break a person’s day. Our feet reflect much about general health and sometimes show the first signs of many chronic diseases like Diabetes, Chronic Venous Insufficiency, Kidney and Liver Disease, and Auto-Immune disorders. Problems in this area ought not be overlooked.
It can take time to pin down the cause of foot and ankle pain, or whether that pain could be causing problems further up the chain, into the knees, hips, or back. That’s why we perform a detailed 60 minute evaluation that looks at alignment of the bones of the foot and ankle complex, muscle and joint flexibility and stability, strength, and balance. This concentrated biomechanical exam affords the comprehensive information that a therapist needs to first look globally at lower quarter function and then narrow down an accurate physical therapy diagnosis.
Sometimes treatment incorporates fairly straightforward strengthening and stretching; other times more complicated proprioception, balance, and gait modification activities. Often, orthotics or changes in footwear are indicated. We have long-standing relationships with companies that provide excellent customer service like PAL, Biomechanical Services, Dr. Comfort, and BSN-Jobst. By looking at foot alignment in non-weight bearing as well as in standing, your therapist can make the recommendation with the best fit for you and for your lifestyle.
What kinds of foot problems do we treat?
- Running/walking complaints
- Acute and recurrent ankle instability
- Plantar fascitiis
- Tendinitis and tendinosis
- Post operative care:
- tendon repairs
- Foot trauma due to accidents
- Shin splints
- Patellar pain and alignment
- Persistent chronic knee pain
- Toe, ankle, or arch pain
- Foot ulcers and swelling
Treatment techniques may include:
- Phonophoresis or iontophoresis, non-invasive delivery of anti-inflammatory medications
- Stretching techniques
- Strengthening exercises for the foot/ankle, hip and/or core
- Joint mobilization
- Taping techniques for the foot, ankle, or patella
- Balance exercises
- Gait analysis on the treadmill
- Footwear analysis and recommendations
- Exercise recommendations to supplement your program at home or the health club
- Ankle or knee supports
- Off the shelf orthotics
- Custom fabricated orthotics
- Compression garments